Church of St. Mark – Zagreb
The colorful Church of St. Mark is one of the oldest buildings in Zagreb and of its symbols. It is first mentioned in the list of parish churches in the Capitol Statute of 1334. St. Mark's Church is easily recognizable by the checkered design on its roof depicting the coat of arms of Croatia, Dalmatia, Slavonia, and Zagreb city. It was built in the 13th century; from that first, the Romanesque period, only a window in the south wall and the bell-tower foundation are preserved. Gothic arches and the shrine were built in the second half of the 14th century when the church got its most valuable part - luxurious Gothic south portal. In terms of figures, it contains, that the Gothic portal is one of the most beautiful ones in Croatia. It was made in the Parler workshop, one of the most famous medieval sculpting workshops. The northwestern wall contains the oldest known coat - of - arms of Zagreb from 1499. The church was thoroughly reconstructed in the second half of the 19th century, based on the designs of Viennese architects Friedrich Schmidt and Hermann Bolle. It underwent another reconstruction in the first half of the 20th century. At that time, renowned painter Jozo Kljakovic (1888 - 1969) painted its walls, while the altar was decorated with works of the sculptor Ivan Mestrovic.